Reading : Negotiation analysis
When reading the article on negotiation analysis, I felt a bit overwhelmed by all the notions to bear in mind when negotiating. However, two of the seven main points of the article really stroke my attention : 'power' and 'ethics'.
Regarding power, the example of the Iranian hostage negotiations between President Jimmy Carter's administration and the revolutionary students who seized the U.S. embassy in Tehran in 1979 was really interesting to me, because the powers at stake were much more evident than they would have been in an example dealing with someone buying a car. I did some research to understand the situation better because I wasn't really familiar with the case, and it helped me get more familiar with the idea of underlying interests : at the time, both presidential candidates (Jimmy Carter, for a reelection, and Ronald Reagan) were trying to make the negotiations move forward not just in order to save the American hostages but also to win the elections.
The part on ethics was also really interesting, because the whole process of negotiation analysis sounded quite like manipulation, which I guess it is in a way, but the five points to consider when thinking about your negotiations and the deals you are trying to close made it more human to me. I know I can be way too scrupulous and naive, which is why I am not good at negotiating - about anything. That is one thing I can improve : my ability to judge more efficiently what is ethical and what isn't and to not let it prevent me from trying to get better deals.
Regarding power, the example of the Iranian hostage negotiations between President Jimmy Carter's administration and the revolutionary students who seized the U.S. embassy in Tehran in 1979 was really interesting to me, because the powers at stake were much more evident than they would have been in an example dealing with someone buying a car. I did some research to understand the situation better because I wasn't really familiar with the case, and it helped me get more familiar with the idea of underlying interests : at the time, both presidential candidates (Jimmy Carter, for a reelection, and Ronald Reagan) were trying to make the negotiations move forward not just in order to save the American hostages but also to win the elections.
The part on ethics was also really interesting, because the whole process of negotiation analysis sounded quite like manipulation, which I guess it is in a way, but the five points to consider when thinking about your negotiations and the deals you are trying to close made it more human to me. I know I can be way too scrupulous and naive, which is why I am not good at negotiating - about anything. That is one thing I can improve : my ability to judge more efficiently what is ethical and what isn't and to not let it prevent me from trying to get better deals.
Commentaires
Enregistrer un commentaire