September 24th : $2 game

September 24th : $2 game

During the first simulation, I was paired with Nina W., who was supposed to be my bestie. She needed at least $0.5 for the bus, I was supposed to get at least $1.60 for no specific reason.
We said it was night and we both needed to take the bus home. We discussed the situation for a moment since if I wanted to achieve my goal she wouldn't get her 50 cents. Then, she offered that we both take the bus to her house, which was 50 cents for each, so that I would sleep over at her place, and that the next day we would both have a coffee with the remaining money.
We were both happy with this result, since we both got to go home and spend time together as besties do. It was a win-win bargaining, which was perfect since we were negotiating with a friend : we didn't want to damage the relationship for $2 so we didn't argue or fight, we just thought of what we could get from the $2 that would benefit the two of us.

During the second simulation I was paired with Mickaël T. and we were colleagues who didn't know each other very well. On my instructions paper, it was written that the person who would find the $2 with me would have had a rough few weeks but wouldn't mention it to me. On his, it was written that he was supposed to care a lot about his reputation and everything he said in the office.
He started by asking me why I needed the money, I said that I was very tired and didn't have change for the coffee machine, so the $2 would be really useful to me. I asked him why he needed the money and he said he didn't but other people were in need and could use it. In a very cynical way, I said I was in need of a coffee, so I offered to split the money, $1 for my coffee and $1 for charity. He agreed on condition that I would go with him to charity and show more consideration for people in need. I didn't really take into account the fact that he was supposed to have had a bad time and as he didn't mention it there was nothing personal in the negotiation.
It was also a win-win bargaining, since neither of us had a 'money goal' we needed to complete we just split the money and used it for the reason we said we needed it, and that was all.

Commentaires

Articles les plus consultés